Gateway P-7808u FX

Sunday, March 8, 2009


For a long period, most Gateway products I've been bumping into were monitors and, sometimes, Gateway desktop computers. Since I was never called by anyone to fix a Gateway system, I concluded they were pretty solid machines, and if you add the fact that one of my friends had a Gateway monitor running around the clock in a computer games hall, you can imagine what I think about this company. Now, the time has come to check a Gateway laptop, namely the Gateway P-7808u FX.


Strange name, don't you think? Imagine how tough would be life for somebody working in a store selling about 20 models with such names, instead of "MSI Wind" or "Asus Eee," but - fortunately - they're not always like this one. When I say "like this one," I am not only thinking about the name ...because a $1,700 laptop can't be really considered "affordable," but if we look at the hardware setup, that explains a lot:


- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0 GHz Processor
- 6 MB L2 Cache, 1066 MHz Bus Speed
- 4096 MB DDR3 (PC3-8500) RAM
- 500 GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
- 17" WXGA+ (1440 x 900) Ultrabright Display
- Built-in 1.3 MP Webcam and Microphone
- NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS with 1024MB of Dedicated Video Memory
- Labelflash DVD±R/RW Drive with Dual Layer
- Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN 802.11a/b/g/n
- Bluetooth 2.0 +EDR
- 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet
- ExpressCard 54 Slot
- 5-in-1 Memory Card Reader SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro, xD
- Connections: 3 x USB 2.0, eSATA, IEEE 1394b, Headphone/SPDIF Audio Out, Microphone, HDMI, VGA, RJ-11 (Modem), RJ-45
- Approximate Unit Dimensions: 15.75" (W) x 11.75" (D) x 1.7"(H)
- Approximate Unit Weight: 9.05 Pounds


I don't know about the heat produced, and while the first user reviews are still expected to drop by, let me say only this - I have no idea about reliability in the long run, but this notebook can surely kick my desktop computer's ass in games, and I don't have a 5 years old one!


Although not quite a gaming computer, the Gateway P-7808u FX is a great performer, no matter the tasks you may have in mind...unless you simply want a cheap, light, and small tool to get online.


0 comments:

Use The Below Code To Use Emoticons In your Comments

:)) ;)) ;;) :D ;) :p :(( :) :( :X =(( :-o :-/ :-* :| 8-} :)] ~x( :-t b-( :-L x( =))

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails